|| Resting Sappho, Heinrich Dannecker, c. 1797 / 1802.
French, 1825 - 1905
Memorial Art Gallery
Mosaic Floor Panel with Head of Tethys, 3rd century
Roman Mosaic; Made in Antioch
This mosaic depicting the head of Tethys, a Greek goddess of the sea, was discovered in 1939 in the ruins of Daphne, a wealthy suburb of Antioch. Tethys may have been a special patron of Antioch, a wealthy and diverse seaside city located in Syria but founded by settlers from a variety of nations. Antioch’s central location on the coast of the Mediterranean, easily reached from Europe, Africa, and the Middle East, made it a crossroads of cultures, religions, and languages.
he goddess Tethys, a figure from Greek legend, was also revered by the Roman citizens of Antioch. Born of Gaea, the earth deity, and Uranus, the god of the sky, Tethys was the wife of the sea god Oceanus, whose mythical river encircled the earth. She controlled the distribution of water throughout the streams of the world. She is often depicted with wings on her brow, possibly representing the winds that drove rainclouds.
In 1939, an archaeological excavation in the area of Antioch uncovered the Tethys mosaic. It had been part of a floor in an opulent Roman-era villa in the luxurious resort town of Daphne. This mosaic was one of more than three hundred pavements discovered in the vicinity. They featured scenes of the gods, animals including fish and birds, and repeating decorative ornament. The Memorial Art Gallery purchased the Tethys mosaic from Princeton University, one of seven institutions participating in the project. The excavations ended soon thereafter, as World War II destabilized the region. The province of Hatay, which includes Antioch and Daphne, is now part of northern Turkey.
[Gallery label text, 2009]
Memorial Art Gallery
School of Fontainebleau
French, 16th century
Portrait of a Woman, 16th Century
Memorial Art Gallery, Rochester, NY
Dagger of the Grand Masters of the Order of Malta
- Dated: mid-16th century
- Culture: southern Germany
Photo copyright: © R.M.N./J.G. Berizzi
Source: © Louvre Museum
Colosso dell’Appennino, 1580
sculptor: Giambologna (1529-1608)
Villa Demidoff Park, Tuscany, Italy
Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres (1780–1867)
Odalisque and Slave, 1839
the Morgan Library